Sainsbury’s opens first ‘Triple Zero’ stores
Sainsbury’s new supermarket in Leicester is one of two ‘Triple Zero’ stores the retailer has just opened. It is Sainsbury’s most environmentally friendly store to date and uses the very latest technologies available to complement its industry-leading standard specification.
The store has many environmentally friendly features including ‘Triple Zero’ – zero carbon emissions from all operational energy used; zero waste goes to landfill; and the store has zero impact on the water usage of the local catchment area because of its ‘Water Neutral’ status.
Neil Sachdev, Sainsbury’s Property Director, said: “We aim to be the UK’s Greenest Grocer and achieve our 20×20 target to reduce our operational carbon emissions by 30 per cent absolute. To do this we’re now building and running highly sustainable, low carbon stores.
“Our new ‘Triple Zero’ stores in Leicester and Weymouth Gateway are examples of how we’re achieving this, by using power generated from waste in our supply chain and ‘Water Neutral’, which includes offsetting partnerships in the local community.”
One hundred per cent of the store’s electricity and heating will be provided by an onsite generator, meaning all operational energy used will be zero carbon. The combined heat and power system will use natural gas from the national gas grid. And, the equivalent amount of zero carbon biogas, required for the store each year, will be imported into the network from one of our Dairy Development Group farmer’s anaerobic digestion facilities in West Sussex, thus creating a closed loop.
Also, like all Sainsbury’s stores, none of its waste goes to landfill. Any surplus food is donated to local charities or made into animal feed, and when it’s not suitable for consumption it’s used to generate energy through anaerobic digestion. And, all general waste is recycled or turned into fuel.
Additionally, the water required for this ‘Water Neutral’ store will be met through water efficient measures and infrastructure, as well as an offsetting partnership in the local community. This means the total water used within the local catchment area will not increase as a result of this new store. 70% of the water demand will come from rainwater harvesting and other water efficient initiatives. The remaining 30%, which is potable water for food preparation, will be offset by sponsoring water saving initiatives at a partner site in the local community, also substantially reducing its annual water bill. In a year this approach will save enough water to meet the average needs of around 50 homes.
The new store’s sustainable features also include:
- A timber structural frame, creating a lower carbon footprint than a standard steel frame
- Natural CO2 refrigeration to run the chillers and freezers, reducing the carbon footprint by 33%
- Energy efficient LED lighting, saving enough energy for 13 million cups of tea each year
- Over 120 prismatic roof lights to maximise natural light, which alone will save enough electricity to light more than 95 homes
- The petrol station has a unique roof canopy over the fuel pumps made of photovoltaic solar panels, to generate energy to run the kiosk
- Outside there are electric vehicle charging points and a Bee Hotel (nesting site) and Bee Café (bee friendly plants), providing a five star ‘Bee & Bee’ experience for solitary bees from next spring
- A comprehensive recycling centre for customers to recycle packaging and donate clothing and other items to Oxfam
- 100% of the waste produced during the construction of the store has been reused or recycled
- Over 1,200 photovoltaic solar panels on the roof generating enough electricity to power over 200 TV’s 24/7 for a year
Sainsbury’s new 81,700 sq ft Leicester store will open on the 27th November 2013.